Saturday, October 17, 2020

COVID Test

 It has been quite a stressful week. Friday morning we received notice from Grace Village that the main campus building is closed to visitors (including the condo residents), the dining room is closed (meals will be delivered to apartments or condo residents can order by phone and pick up at kitchen backdoor), and all group activities have been stopped. I had been concerned about being involved in choir; that decision doesn't need to be made for next week anyway. All of the above is until the 21st when things will be re-evaluated. 

Thursday afternoon I heard from my sister-in-law who is in chime choir that the vocal choir director who also plays chimes received a phone call during chime practice from her son. He has tested positive for COVID. She immediately left to start quarantining in her apartment. She never wears a mask. Not only had I seen her Tuesday at choir practice, but as she was out walking Sunday, she rang my doorbell and wanted to visit. I thank the Lord that I had the presence of mind to have us sit outside on my porch. She has no symptoms so far.

When I returned from grocery shopping yesterday afternoon I found a note from my husband. He had gone with his sister to pick up her repaired computer. A man that he had breakfasted with Tuesday in the Grace Village dining room was in the hospital with COVID.

To add to my anxiety, Friday morning I started having sniffles. By the afternoon I had a swollen gland in my neck. It might have been allergies, but it felt more like a cold. I had no fever.

God is so gracious. We have two testing sites in our county but they require a doctor's referral and an appointment. On Wednesday a new testing site opened up. It is drive-thru and free. We arrived there this morning with nobody else in line. They are a little slow because they are still learning the procedures. The registration clerk said the swab test would be uncomfortable but not painful. The tester was very good about telling me to breathe deeply thru my mouth and close my eyes. But it did hurt at the end when she "swirled" it around as she described it. It made my eyes water. It was over quickly thankfully. I should have the results in 3-5 days via email. I do feel slightly unwell today. I hope it is just a cold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment