Friday, December 27, 2019

Stinky Morning


We used to shop at the Amish-run Rentown Country Store in Bremen from time to time, but it has been several years since our last visit. We knew they had a new building. The old building has been turned into a restaurant, The Dutchmaid Eatery. It is not very far south of Highway Indiana 6, but my husband chose to go north on 331 so we approached from the west. This meant narrow two-laned rural roads.

I could see a small black mound in the road. Since it wasn't moving, I assumed it was a dead animal. My husband drove right over it and as soon as we heard the thump against the car he said I hope that wasn't a skunk. About 10 seconds later we said in unison, "It was a skunk!" as the smell entered through the car ventilation system. Yikes! We joked maybe we should park in a far corner of the restaurant parking lot. We had a nice breakfast. My husband especially enjoyed the homemade sausage gravy over his eggs and hash browns. 

When we arrived home, we debated whether to park in the garage. We did pull in. As I entered the garage later to drive to the grocery store, there was a definite skunky smell, though not overpowering. This afternoon it finally dissipated. 

The store is known for its huge selection of cheeses, bulk dry goods (flours, grains, spices, nuts, etc.), and enormous candy section which went down a whole side of a 20-foot? aisle and around the corner. The gummies don't appeal to me, but I bought a baggie of small patties of butter pecan clusters to try. Also, kitchen gadgets, games, jams, and baked goods are worth the trip. 
By the time I was ready to check out, I had the small bag of a dozen clusters, a small jar of strawberry rhubarb jam, and a little chunk of Swiss cheese. 

On the way home we chose Highway 6 and stopped at Vintage Haus consignment store in Nappanee. Since it was a little before 10 a.m., we didn't think it would be open, but it was. My husband has several wooden boxes and his wooden jigsaw puzzles for sale there. The store had sold two of his puzzles (which also came in wooden boxes). The owner gave my husband a check. We could "smell money" all the way home which is decidedly better than skunk. 

P.S. At the grocery store the bagger pointed to a small group of holiday balloons and said help yourself. They are free. The stinky day was getting better all the time.




No comments:

Post a Comment