Friday, December 20, 2019

My RMD Starts Later

Congress just passed the new SECURE act which makes changes in retirement requirements. I already received a reminder from Fidelity that next year I need to take RMD from my funds. But not so now. I expect I may receive another email explaining the change. Now retirees don't have to take a required distribution until they turn 72. Since my husband and I are living off of his pension and our Social Security monthly checks, unlike people needing that money for living expenses, I can delay taking money and paying taxes on it until 2022. That will simplify my tax calculations next year. 
You can read about the other changes in this article. I had pretty much given up on this RMD change taking place in time to benefit me, but it was tacked onto the new spending bill which passed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment