Tuesday, September 18, 2018

DNA Update

I received an email that Ancestry is using a new algorithm they consider more precise for DNA results. Mine did change some. The improbable Caucasus and Eastern European have been completely removed.

They lowered the British component by 10% to 63%. The Western European which was only 9% has been refined to 21% Germanic. Yes! The German ancestry in my family has been confirmed thru extensive genealogic research by my mother's cousin. I was disappointed in my initial results that showed a vague 9% Western European.

The Dutch still doesn't show. Instead I have this Scandinavian component which has now been increased and broken down to 13% Norwegian, 3% Swedish (which didn't show up last time). As I explained in my earlier post, the history of migration that came with my results did mention a large Norwegian influx into the Netherlands prior to my ancestors coming to the United States. Apparently, my father's ancestors married into some of these migrant families. 

Ancestry states that they will continue to refine results for individuals as the science changes. At least I feel like I got more for my fee than when I received the initial results since there is more specificity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment