Saturday, September 8, 2018

Big Weed

The shrub (now over 6 feet high!) I thought might be Rose of Sharon is definitely not. It has a feathery appearance on the ends of the stems now. When I looked closely this morning, it looked like teensy pale yellow flowers were developing. Maybe when more color appears, I will be able to identify it, but it looks like my husband was correct; it is probably a weed of some sort.

It looks a little like goldenrod. However when I looked at pictures of goldenrod on the internet, the leaves are totally different in appearance. Then I began to worry it might be ragweed. Some internet sites compare ragweed to goldenrod because people seem to be confused. The feathery stuff does look like ragweed some, but again the leaves are all wrong. 


Here are the leaves and the plant a few months ago.

This is what it looks like now. It is raining so I took the photos thru the screened window.

If it is a type of ragweed, I need to cut it down very soon before it spreads pollen. I am allergic to ragweed. I've never seen what I thought was ragweed get this tall, but who knows. Any ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment