Friday, September 14, 2018

Autumn Prelude

We are on the "good" side of Hurricane Florence. She is blocking hot steamy weather from streaming into our area. We are hot in the 80's but dry air. There is a slight breeze as well. As long as I stay out of the sun, it is pretty pleasant. But I did turn the air conditioner on this afternoon after several days of open-window fresh air. 


 The leaves continue to lose chlorophyll so that colors are appearing. Our decorative pear trees have their hard little fruits now. These are actually eaten by the deer in the coldest snowiest days of winter.


Like everything else at Costco, the mums they sell are huge.

 I have moved the geraniums under the lobelia/verbena hanging basket. I think I will probably get rid of the basket next week. My knockout roses are putting out new blooms now, too.
I had to put something away on the high closet shelf. As long as I had the step stool there, I dragged down my "wreath" for the front door.

While I was at Fort Wayne Wednesday, I did some shopping. The hot dog and soda for $1.63 including tax at Costco, was a good deal for lunch. I brought a rotisserie chicken home for supper. We are still eating that. I tried some scalloped potatoes. I bought Boudin sour dough bread. The bread made good grilled cheese sandwiches. Tomorrow we will use it for BLT sandwiches. I tucked some frozen quiche into my insulated bag. Too hot to bake now, but in a few weeks we will see if we like those.
I am stocking up on things on sale at my grocery store, too. I haven't had the Marie Callendar streusel pumpkin pie before.
Though the zucchini don't look great in the stores, I bought two to grate and freeze so I can bake zucchini bread this fall and winter.


I have deactivated my Trunk Club account. I found a nice top at Macy's which I hope to wear Wednesday when I preside over the Winona Literary Club opening meeting for 2018-2019.
This morning my husband had an errand in Silver Lake. After breakfast and this stop, we went to Maple Lane Bakery in Claypool. The little strawberry/rhubarb pie should be just the right size for us for a couple of days. The 9-inch pies are too big.


I picked up my September Bloom of the Month Thursday.


 Starting to look forward to the coming autumnal equinox. 










No comments:

Post a Comment