Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Lambsquarters

Eureka! I think I found the name of Big Weed. It appears to be lambsquarters.
The leaves, the height, the "flowers", the purple striped stem seem to line up with the images and information I have found. 

Some people eat the early leaves the same as spinach. According to one site, chickens love to eat this plant. So, if I cut it down and more come next year, I just need to have some chickens to get rid of it. LOL. 

I think I may leave it through the winter. Birds supposedly like its seeds, and a few of my smaller birds have already used it as a perch before launching off for the bird feeder. However, I am not crazy about having a whole plot of lambsquarters so I will see how much it seeds new plants. Those will appear next spring. Probably will cut it down next spring and weed out the new growth.

Farmers don't like it because it is a host for various viruses that attack their crops. Other than that, it is apparently an OK plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment