Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Retirement Rolling Along

 It is hard to believe that my husband retired 14 years ago today, and we moved to Indiana from Texas just a few days later. It doesn't seem that long ago, yet at the same time it does seem like our life in Texas was pretty far back. 

Yesterday while I had a therapy session in Fort Wayne, my husband did some shopping. At Northcrest mall he browsed Kohl's; then deciding he didn't have enough time to look in other stores, he went to AAA also in Northcrest and visited with the travel agent we used  to book our Panama cruise. She advised him that if he wanted to cruise in winter 2022 he should book soon as the ships are filling up fast. I am not yet comfortable with the idea of cruising. Not so much because of fear of getting sick, but because of the risk of cancellation. The bugs in this new way of doing things on board also need to be worked out. 

When he rejoined me, we went to Asakusa for lunch. We have not had much experience with Japanese restaurants. This was a new restaurant for us. We ordered the (Bento) box lunch. For my 2 entrees I selected shrimp and vegetable tempura and teriyaki steak. My husband picked chicken katsu (a sort of breaded and fried chicken tenders) and the Texas roll (sushi). Besides a mound of rice, sauteed mushrooms, and a few carrots and pieces of broccoli, this meal came with soup and salad. The few times I have eaten Japanese soup (miso), I have not been impressed. This soup was not miso. It had mushrooms, green onions, and tempura crumbs. It was delicious. The salad had a ginger dressing. We will have to go back sometime, but in the same strip mall there is in an adjoining building another Japanese restaurant which we will probably try before returning to Asakusa.

I chose this restaurant because it is close to Costco where we needed to stop to buy some hearing aid batteries. It was so hot (upper 80s) and humid, it was wearying just to go from the car to the entrance. We are in a stretch of rainy days. Last Friday we participated in our condo community's garage sale. It rained almost all day and sometimes had downpours. It just started raining now as I am typing this. 

Before heading home, we stopped at Ollie's because of the Customer Appreciation week. The extra 15% off wasn't much of a discount, but I bought two books for $7.25. 

As long as my eyes work, I will be a reader. That is just a normal part of my retirement life carried over from pre-retirement.






No comments:

Post a Comment