Sunday, June 20, 2021

Scammed

 Last week I became victim of an internet scam. It is the only time that I know of and it had minor consequences.

 I had installed my new Canon printer, but when I printed/copied the pages the colors were faded and somewhat grayed. I tried cleaning the print head and doing a nozzle check. The nozzle check printed all of the colors, but they were washed out. I saw searching the internet that I could choose manual settings for color rather than automatic, but the pattern check that was spoken of didn't appear anywhere. I felt like I needed some guidance.

I searched for Canon help. I clicked on the first site listed that had Canon in bold print. The site that came up had the Canon logo and color scheme. I chose to "chat". I was told I could have a one week trial of help for $1 but after that week I would be charged something like $46 a month for membership. I had no intention of staying with a membership with that monthly fee. I just needed one day of help and then I would cancel.

The "trial" could be paid for with a credit card or Paypal. I chose Paypal. I described my problem to an "assistant" who then told me she would refer it to a technician. As soon as the chat with the "expert" started I knew I had been had. He wanted me to change the paper setting to "rough paper" as the paper quality might be affecting how the ink was absorbed. Of course there is no such choice. I told him that and started looking for the cancel option. I also looked at the URL and realized that I was on a site called JustAnwer.com not Canon. 

Before I could cancel, he replied that he could for an extra fee remotely look for the necessary setting on my computer and help me. Yikes! I knew better than to allow anyone unknown to me to access my computer. 

I did find the cancel button. I was relieved to get a message from Paypal that the automatic monthly charging of my account had been canceled. At least that part of the "story" seemed to be true. With the cancellation, I no longer was chatting.

But he wasn't ready to give up. I don't remember giving this site my email address, but it would be associated with my Paypal account. I received an email telling me that I hadn't clicked on the link he provided with answers. I deleted it, but a few minutes later came a second such email. I didn't even open the emails. I blocked the sender. Later I checked my spam box and saw another two attempts.

So I am out one dollar, but it could have been much worse. If I had used a credit card, there could be all sorts of charges put on it. I could have had my computer taken over. Who knows what the emailed link would have done. 

I did find the legitimate Canon help site. My printer had not been on display at Best Buy but sitting in the stockroom somewhere. The ink cartridges that came with it were not in a box, but in the plastic cups with the sealed plastic across the top. I have no way of knowing how old they are.

 This real Canon site had a big banner warning customers of scam sites that looked like the legitimate site. No kidding. I knew what the Canon site looked like because I had checked the specs of their printers before deciding what to buy.

 To get help through the internet or by telephone I needed to register my printer which I did. I thought I might call and see with the serial number if they could see how old this printer really was. When was it manufactured? I suspect it has been sitting in the stockroom at Best Buy over a year all during the pandemic. Instead I ordered two ink cartridges (black and color) via Walmart. They should arrive Tuesday. If replacing the cartridges doesn't solve the color quality problem, I will call someone at Canon. The printer is under warranty. 

So I am out $1, but it could have been much worse. A rather cheap reminder to always look at the URL that shows up before interacting.




No comments:

Post a Comment