Sunday, May 31, 2020

Last and Lost Things

This week I finished coloring the last page I had gleaned from the internet. It is kind of busy and detailed, the type of page I tend to avoid. I taped it to the inside of my clothes closet. My natural tendency is toward melancholy. "Choosing" is an active behavior, a reminder that with the Holy Spirit's help I can control how I respond to what is around me.


I don't think I will look for any more pages. Like the shelling and eating of peanuts, these were things to do while spending extra time at home. I don't see them becoming a regular part of my life. They filled a void in my days because my usual activities (Literary Club, choir practice, ladies' Bible study, Robin Hood lunches, and Silver Sneaker classes) had stopped.
Usually, everything but the exercise class and the neighborhood monthly lunch would stop for the summer months anyway. 

There are all kinds of things being rescheduled or canceled. In the spring and summer, I would normally attend a Volunteer Appreciation luncheon at Grace Village, Saint Ann's rummage sale, maybe a musical/play at the Wagon Wheel Theater. I know some Indiana towns plan to have July 4th fireworks; haven't heard what Winona Lake has decided. The county fair in July will have rides and activities but no 4-H animal competitions. I am guessing the Senior Day free breakfast and afternoon ice cream and door prizes will be eliminated as well. On television, I enjoy watching the American Kennel Club dog show and the National Spelling Bee which were canceled this year. What kind of community events are not happening where you live?

Non-essential travel is allowed now in Indiana. Stores and restaurants are open with restrictions. On Memorial Day a ton of people visited Winona Lake beach without social distancing; the town has blocked access to the beach now. With increased mingling comes increased exposure to the virus. In the past few days 15 new cases of Covid-19 have appeared in our county. We are now up to 120 people sick; two months ago we had about 20. The illness is spiking in the state as well.

 The news reporting about the GOP dinner last week in Warsaw stated 130 attended, 5 wore masks during the non-meal part of the program. Kudos to the mayor as he is one who did don a mask; he has persistently been trying to get people to show respect and care for fellow citizens by wearing a mask. I expect such cavalier attitudes toward the pandemic will result in more cases this next week or two. 

My pastor announced that our church will resume meeting June 7th. I don't think I am quite ready to do that yet. Maybe by the end of June if it appears the spread of the virus is slowing down in our county rather than spiking.

I am reading the 3-book Christian romance series Wings of Glory by Sarah Sundin. I like her writing. The timeframe is World War II, including American aviators in England.

I would like to travel a bit this summer, but that is not looking likely. Might as well lose myself in fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment