Thursday, May 21, 2020

Not-so-safe Shopping Trip

This morning I went to Owens (owned by Kroger) to shop. I needed some paper towels, and I have been happy with the store brand which saves me money. 

The store now has red arrows making aisles one-way. They wasted their time. Most shoppers totally ignored the arrows. Of the 3 big stores I use (Owens, Meijer, Martin's), Owens definitely has the skinniest aisles. With people going two ways, people were passing  within 20 inches of me. I would like to say these people were wearing masks, but about 30% of people had none on. As I was leaving the store I was disgusted by what I saw. 4 men dressed in firemen pants with suspenders and T-shirts saying Warsaw Wayne Township Fire Territory were approaching the self checkout lane. Not one of them wore a mask. If the "first responders" can't be bothered to wear something that protects me and the rest of the public, why should I be honoring them? Shame on them.

I will continue to use Owens for certain items only they carry. I will not be doing my regular shopping there until healthier times. One of the benefits was to get reward points toward a discount at their gas station. Not worth it right now with such insufficient precautions and safety enforcement. 

They did have two canisters of disinfecting wipes on the shelf (limit 1 per customer) and lots of hand sanitizer in small bottles less than 2 ounces (limit 2 per customer). I bought both. We have some hand sanitizer from Streven Distillery, the only stuff we could find after weeks and weeks of looking. It has a water-like consistency since it is alcohol normally used to make vodka. I see today is the last day to buy it; they are not going to make any more since bars will be able to open back up in a few weeks, and Streven will go back to making vodka in adequate supply for those customers.

Our county has fared well re Covid-19. As of yesterday we had 62 cases (1 died) and currently nobody with the disease in the hospital. God has been gracious because certainly this situation is not because of people being careful in our community. The exception is the nursing homes; they have done an outstanding job protecting the residents. 


No comments:

Post a Comment