Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Stimulus Payment and Other Novelties

I have been checking the IRS Get My Payment module about once a week to see when our Stimulus Payment would be deposited since I saw no action in my bank account. Yesterday, the site said that our money would be deposited May 6th. Yes! It showed up today.

 We need to think about how to use that money wisely. We don't really need it for living expenses except now with meat prices soaring it will be nice to know there is extra "income" to buy meat if we can find it. I have been doing pick-up grocery shopping the past few weeks at 2 different stores. I find it so dissatisfying. I like to note items on sale that are not on my list that I can purchase to stock up at a good price. And it is difficult to do meal planning because invariably 4-6 items I ordered are not available (at the specific store anyway) though they showed up in the online order browsing. Next week I am going to do in-store shopping at Meijer. That store has wider aisles and last time I was there people did a decent job of social distancing. I will probably feel depressed when I see the meat cases mostly empty, but at least being in the store will let me explore options. 

I think we would like to use part of our stimulus money to help somebody who has lost their job or had hours cut. Have a few possibilities but may just go through a community agency. Still thinking about that. We did already donate to the Grace Village Employee Assistance Fund in anticipation of receiving the money. That money was being used for childcare expenses, but now our community has set up and provided to healthcare workers free child care in a church. The fund also has paid a bonus to those workers in the healthcare area. 

Today I received in the mail a handwritten letter and a tract from Aubrie, a person I do not know. I guess if you cannot safely go door to door, you can still earn "credit" for your good works by using the postal system. The note suggested I could have my questions answered by going to the Jehovah Witness web page. I have in the past had their magazine left at my house when I was not home, but this is a first to get something in the mail with a personal note.

With very few exceptions, this spring has been cold. Today it is 54 and sunny, but the wind makes it uncomfortable to stay outdoors. I took a photo of my flowering quince; I was glad to hurry back inside. I was going to grill hamburgers Friday for supper but have decided to do them tomorrow with warmer weather chances. Friday will be mid-40's dropping to 28 at night. I may need to find an old sheet to cover the quince flowers.










No comments:

Post a Comment