Sunday, April 9, 2017

Crocus No-Shows

No crocus blooms this year. I read on the internet that if the plants are mowed too soon, the corm doesn't build up the "food" for flowers. The "lawn mower" last year was a rabbit, but still the rabbit ate them down to dirt level when I removed the netting after blooming. I have left my netting over the foliage in the hope that the needed process will take place so that next year I get blooms.
The daffodils I planted last fall fared better, but not all of them survived. It is nice to see a touch of yellow out the window.
Of course this week I am seeing yellow in the grass; dandelions have popped up.

I am not a gardener and the feeble efforts I make don't work out very well. Therefore I depend on potted plants inside to make up for the lack of flowers outside.
The purple tulips have been a joy. Today the pear trees on my block have flowers opening, just in time for Easter. It is a warm beautiful day, inside and out.



No comments:

Post a Comment