Sunday, April 16, 2017

Attuned to Nature

It is too easy to stay in the comfort of my home and only distantly observe the natural world. Yesterday we put the TV trays next to our front porch gliders and ate lunch outside. The blooming pear tree had been obvious through the windows, but what about its micro-world? Watching the tree as I lunched, I saw little butterflies flitting among the pear blossoms and from time to time some bees heading for the nectar. A robin perched on a limb.

I noticed on the way home from church today that tulips are opening in neighborhood yards. Time to drive to Peabody Retirement Community for my annual tulip pilgrimage. 

My sister gave me a devotional book by Francine Rivers for my birthday: Earth Psalms, Reflections on How God Speaks Through Nature. There are 52 entries each with anecdotes, Scripture verses, a Reflect statement/questions, a suggested application, and an ending prayer pertinent to the entry. All nicely illustrated.


I like that it is not a daily devotional structure. Some days I read something else. Some days I read more than one entry. I am enjoying it.

This afternoon I perused my decorating folders. The "outdoors" folder has some scenic views, but mostly patios, decks, gazebos, porches, courtyards filled with flowers and plants and with comfy rockers, loungers, wicker chairs with pretty cushions. All places in which I would delight to rest and to reflect and to read. My kind of places. Outside but with the comforts of home.

How do you enjoy the natural world around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment