Friday, June 2, 2023

Neighborhood Update

 Mostly I dislike blue jays with their raucous voices and domineering ways. It is 92 degrees this afternoon. There is little activity in our neighborhood. Just before I started typing, the bright blue of a jay accented the nearby pine tree. Among all the green and brown, he was a bright spot. The cheddar pinks and my neighbor's peonies are fading from bright pink to dusty rose in this heat. 



Maintenance discovered at the beginning of this week that the panel that controls the west side of Robin Hood sprinklers was the one burned up in the February fire. Apparently, the purpose of that panel was unknown by the current crew. My husband commented recently that with the layoffs and resignations in the last few years, Grace Village is losing historical knowledge of the evolving structures/systems that were put in place over the years. I guess how the sprinkler system is wired and works was one of those losses. Since none of us have hoses to set up manual sprinklers, the grass is yellowing fast. The insurance company is using its clout to get a repair made to the control panel, but so far no operating sprinklers for a week. We may cool down a bit mid-week, but no sign of significant rain in the forecast.

There was good news at the start of the week, however. The roof trusses needed before any other restoration can be started on the two burned condos are finished and should arrive in the next 2-3 weeks.

Of course, things will not be the same. One of the condo occupants moved to Florida. The couple who temporarily moved to a vacant condo do plan to move back. Now my back-door neighbor died on Memorial Day in hospice in Fort Wayne. I attended his funeral today. Big changes to the quadplex.

I normally have been going to bed around 11 p.m. Now the sun wakes me up around 6 a.m. I doze a bit more, but really I am not going to get 8 hours of sleep unless I go to bed earlier. Pretty soon, it won't be dark outside until 10 p.m. which won't promote an earlier bedtime. I guess I can do what I did today: take an afternoon nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment