Saturday, June 24, 2023

Winona Lake Farmers' Market

 This morning we went to the Winona Lake Farmers' Market. It is housed in the Miller Sunset Pavilion which during the winter had an ice skating rink. It was pleasant with a light breeze and ceiling fans circulating air. There are about a dozen vendors right now. Since its hours overlap with the Warsaw Farmers' Market Saturday time, I wondered if having two operating markets helped or hurt. There seemed to be a steady stream of shoppers here.


Since the building is new, this is the first year for the farmers' market. 


Mostly flowers/plants, honey, baked goods, some produce. 










I bought some peach turnovers and a small arrangement of zinnias.



I was surprised to see the zinnias which I usually associate with later in the summer around August. Since the remnant of my anniversary flowers were drooping, $5 for a replacement worked out well.


There was a skincare products vendor, a coffee roaster, and a man who was selling tubs to start growing mushrooms and also starter kits of these specialized mushrooms. I had never seen anything like this mushroom product.


Since the market goes until 1 p.m., it could probably support more than one lunch vendor. Bomy's has a store on Winona Avenue in Warsaw. 
The pavilion is in a nice setting near the post office and the lake.





The Symphony of the Lakes patriotic concert on July 1st is going to take place in the Miller Sunset Pavilion. In the past, they had a large tent for the orchestra. The news item said there would be some seating for the audience in the pavilion, but the overflow would need to bring their own chairs to set up outside. 

The item I was hoping to find was not at the Winona Lake market; that was strawberries. So, we stopped at Sweetcorn Charlie's on the way home.


I was able to perambulate the entire pavilion with no pain in my butt and legs. It appears my surgery fixed the neurogenic claudication from the stenosis and pinched nerve roots. I do still have some incision pain. I am looking forward to doing things I could not do the past 20 months or so: farmers' markets, art fairs, museum exhibits, browsing the shopping mall, walking nature trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment