Saturday, March 27, 2021

What's New in the 'Hood

 My daffodils are open! I see them throughout my neighborhood as well.




There are 3 condos vacant on my block. The one directly across from me has no sign, but the others have "For Lease".


We have some critters on the loose: a black bear and a white rabbit.


The Winona Literary Club meets in the community center; the condo residents have a monthly lunch together there, too. Our family has rented it for reunions. A local church group has Bible studies. It is booked up most months.


These hellebores bloom at the corner plot of the community center.
As long as I am showing you my neighborhood, I will include the workshop where my husband does woodworking and other projects; two other men are there regularly doing stained glass and furniture refinishing.


This is the type of mailboxes we have. The acrylic holder has the weekly announcement sheets and event circulars from the retirement facility. The wooden boxes are for newspapers, but the local newspaper has switched to mail delivery rather than by carrier. We still get a weekly free paper, mostly ads.


My irises are starting to emerge. They won't bloom until mid or late May, just about the time of my surgery. 

When I started my walk this afternoon, it was sunny and mild. I joined a neighbor on her porch and before I knew it 90 minutes had gone by. We had quite a chat. It was cloudy and a cold wind arose. Now at 8:30 tonight it is raining and I hear rumbles of thunder. The cold front will mean temps in the 40's tomorrow compared to 66 today. I will have to bundle up in my winter coat to go to church. Yes, we are going to attend in person for the first time since March a year ago.

 The pandemic seems far away, but I see that the cases are starting to rise in our county again. Indiana has opened the COVID shots to anyone 16 and older; yet only about 12 per cent of the county population is fully inoculated. Hope they hurry up. I am starting to get used to a new normal of visiting folks, going to a birthday party, singing in the choir. It could come to a halt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment