Thursday, September 10, 2020

Market Wagon

 As I came to type up this post, I discovered Blogger has moved to the new format. I could go back to the legacy setup for awhile, but after September it will disappear. I decided I will try the new one to learn the differences. I already know I don't like the way it lists my former posts for me to see the number of views or to edit.

When I picked up a copy of Edible Michiana magazine at the Crazy Egg restaurant, I noticed an ad for a service called Market Wagon. The service area mostly covers northeast Indiana and only goes as far west as Warsaw. Winona Lake falls within those limits.

The idea is to support local food sources: grass-fed beef, family bakeries, fruit and vegetable producers, organic items, etc. The items come from Michigan as well as Indiana. I ordered only two items.




I would say the prices are about 30-40% more than grocery store prices. If pesticides and preservative additives are a concern, this is a good option. You will notice the cheese I bought is made from raw milk. These issues are not that important to me. I would hope the fruit would be fresher and better than regular markets, but not necessarily better than fruit stands. Since blueberry season is about over, I didn't order any blueberries.

The order has a flat $5.95 delivery rate. Ordering more items would help spread out that cost.

My first order arrived today. The delivery lady rang the bell. You don't have to be home because they leave your order on the porch in an insulated bag with an ice pack. Since I am not sure if I will order in the future (kind of pricy for me), I asked her to take the cooler bag with her. For regular customers, you leave the bag for pickup at the next order. The online ordering and delivery worked well. I would have ordered some of the jams and sauces, but most of them were "out of stock". The order must be placed by Tuesday night for Thursday delivery. The delivery is just once a week. 

If I lived closer to Fort Wayne, there would be a few places where I could pick up my order and save the delivery cost. Still it is nice to know during a pandemic that one has access to these types of food without leaving home. I will scroll the products in a few weeks when autumn items start to appear. (Apples already for sale.) I doubt I will be a regular customer because of the higher costs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment