Saturday, September 5, 2020

Mums

Yesterday I bought some mums for my front porch. I was intrigued by the celosia (a "wheat" variety) so bought it, too. There was no care tag. When I got home, I looked up Celosia on the internet. It needs lots of light; the front porch is not going to give it what it needs. I bought a plastic pot and put the plant in my sunroom. The internet said it could be grown inside. Since I have never grown celosia I don't know how long it will bloom. For now, it is pretty in the house.



This afternoon I brought the celosia inside so just the mums are left on the porch. I expect the mums to last until the end of September.




Maybe I should take the celosia out of its original pot and replant into the textured container. I think I am going to just leave it as is; I feel lazy.

We have days in the 80's but by the end of next week we will be in the high 60's. Then I will put out some autumn decorations, including a green tablecloth with a runner of autumn leaves in the sun room. I bought some sweet corn from the produce stand this morning. They seemed to have plenty; lots of people buying big quantities for their families and Labor Day parties I suppose. These may be the last ears we eat.

There were at least a dozen people without masks in the grocery store today. They made no effort to distance either. Next week I am going to order online for car pickup. One of the county high schools switched to virtual learning for 2 weeks as they have 100 students with COVID (symptomatic), and because the staff have to isolate for 2 weeks, not enough manpower to keep the school running efficiently. We will see what they and the rest of the communities look like after Labor Day get-togethers. Lots of people are pretty cavalier about the pandemic. 
Found out it was 100 people isolating; only 5 students tested positive and had symptoms. By closing the high school, they were able to transfer janitors, cafeteria workers to the elementary schools where they were short of staff because there too people had been exposed outside of school and needed to be tested and get results.

No comments:

Post a Comment