Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tracks

I started Robyn Davidson’s Tracks Sunday night and finished it by Monday afternoon. It is a fairly short book. It has been made into a movie which is to be released in the United States soon. (Maybe already has but not in my area.) Ms. Davidson made a trek of 1700 miles across the Australian outback by camel in 1977.  It is an adventure book in some ways, but also deals with her feelings about her life. More than half of the book described the two years she spent in Alice Springs learning about caring for and training camels and earning enough to buy the 3 camels she needed for the journey. I don’t know how faithfully the movie will stick to the details of the book. It should have gorgeous scenery and be worth the time just for that.

I learned a lot about camels so I found the early part of the book interesting. I didn’t particularly like Ms. Davidson, but certainly the things she discovered about surviving in the desert and relating to people (Aborigenes, station settlers) would be true for more than just her.

Have you seen this movie? Read this book? How did you like it?

No comments:

Post a Comment