Friday, October 17, 2014

Mrs. Consumer

Today I went to a fundraiser sale held at a Christian academy. Most of the items had been in a store called Hither and Yon which was using space in the back of a furniture store. Home decorative items and furniture donated to raise money for schooling in Zambia made up most of the merchandise. They decided rather than running a store, they would now hold sales twice a year. I bought a small candle globe. We are not allowed to burn candles in Grace Village property, but I can use an LED tea light or I may fill it with shells or other items. Or I could display a candle, but not light it. For a few dollars for a good cause, it was a purchase with potential.

The academy is several blocks south of my house. Just a block away, was a garage sale. There I purchased a queen quilt/comforter. My “summer” comforter in the master bedroom is looking kind of faded and limp. I didn’t even use it this year, but left the heavier one on. This new comforter is fairly heavy, but it looks like spring/summer. Maybe I will even put it on in the winter just to cheer me up. I think it will be a nice change.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Here it is draped over the bed. I tried to look it over at the sale, but wasn’t able to fully unfold it. The reverse side is solid light blue; there are a few light stains on the blue side.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

I went from the garage sale to the Warsaw Public Library book sale. I don’t have money to spend on Grace Village library, but I purchased 7 books for $5.50. One of those, a 25-cent book, I did buy for the library and will donate. Of course, I may end up donating the rest as well once I have read them. One is on American country collectibles and decorating. That one I will cut apart and put the photos into my folder.

This afternoon the upholstery decorating ladies came from Columbia City. We ended up with a solid red called berry for the two recliners. The owner of the store did the writing up of the order, though the saleslady accompanied her. Elma, who owns the store with her husband, has been in this business for 50 years. She said she has had many fine upholsterers thru the years, but she considers her current one the best ever. The chairs will be picked up sometime in November (we won’t have an exact date for a few days) and be gone a few weeks.

Now I have started dinner. As it cooks, I will take time to relax and start the crossword puzzle my husband copied from the Wall Street Journal so we could “compete”. I also want to go thru that country decorating book. The autumn leaves are at peak now; unfortunately, we have quite a lot of wind today. Many are already dropping from the trees. My husband said that on his bike ride this morning, he had a carpet of colorful leaves. Autumn is my favorite season.

Though I spent money today, it was mostly for used items, thus saving me money while keeping things out of landfills, a better way to be a consumer.

No comments:

Post a Comment