Thursday, October 24, 2013

Oops

I recently roasted a whole chicken for dinner. When I used the instant-read thermometer, the meat wasn’t quite done. I put it back in the oven. About 15 minutes later, I pulled it out to check again. Oops. I had left the thermometer sticking out of the bird. It was now milky white with no numbers and part of the plastic was indented over the metal rim. I guess I must have been distracted. I owned the thermometer more than 20 years so I got my money’s worth. I was surprised how expensive a replacement is. Bought one at the grocery store today for $8.59. I am sure I did not pay that much decades ago.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Sorry for the blurred photo. Without a tripod, I could not do better.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

We received this very nice pottery bowl as a wedding present from the art teacher at Grace College. It was made by one of her students and signed on the bottom. For a long time, I had a Christmas cactus growing in it. We haven’t used the bowl for probably 10 years. I had tucked it away in a closet. This summer when my husband stopped at Ace Hardware, I browsed the garden/greenhouse tent. They had lots of little succulents and cacti. Dime stores used to sell those kinds of plants, but I hadn’t seen any in a long time. I made a mental note and decided after I was back home from Quebec, I would buy some for a dish garden. I have no idea what these plants are. Do you? There were no labels.

 

Last week at Literary Club, our program speaker was a florist from Anderson Greenhouse. She made up a fall basket, but while working she shared some comments about the business. She mentioned that succulents/cacti in the home are trending right now. So I guess I could have looked there as well.  I have it sitting on my glass patio table in the sunroom. (Moved it for picture taking as the glass would have too much glare). I am happy to be using my special bowl again.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment