Sunday, October 20, 2013

Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake

When my husband’s siblings and spouses came to Winona Lake for a mini reunion the end of September, we had them to our condo Friday night to chat. I served this recipe, using some of the frozen blueberries from our picking this summer. It is very moist and not too sweet. This is one of the photos that "disappeared" when my husband and I were learning our new cell phones in April 2021 and inadvertently deleted some Google Pictures. Sorry, as I know seeing a picture of the result of a recipe is helpful.

 Lemon Blueberry Coffeecake

 

Cake:

2 1/2 cups flour

1 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup yogurt I could not find plain yogurt! I used a mixture of vanilla yogurt and lemon yogurt.

3 tablespoons canola oil

2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1 egg

1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

1/3 cup sliced almonds

 

Glaze: 1/2 cup powdered sugar

2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons milk

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

 

Step 1 Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray or grease 9-inch springform pan or 9-inch square pan

Step 2 In medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. In large bowl, beat yogurt, oil, lemon peel, lemon juice and egg with whisk. Stir flour mixture into yogurt mixture just until blended. Fold in blueberries. Spread batter in pan. Sprinkle with almonds.

Step 3 Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove side of springform pan.

Step 4 In small bowl, mix glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over warm cake.

3 comments:

  1. Made it this morning and quite tasty. But the center was not done after 40 minutes. Needed to get to church so cut around the edge and put it back into the oven during breakfast. So 1 side not so pretty. Did u have to cook yours longer? I had to guess a bit on the yogurt since ours come in 125 ml containers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only had an eight-inch square pan, not nine-inch so yes I believe I did cook it longer since it was thicker. I used a toothpick to test for doneness.

    ReplyDelete