Thursday, October 17, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes Time Again

One of our neighbors sent out an email inviting us to help ourselves to the last of her garden produce that she had set on her porch. Her garden is finished for this year. I picked up some nice little cherry tomatoes and 2 green tomatoes. I fried the green tomatoes for lunch today, halving the recipe I used last year. The amount was just right for two people.


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

I picked up my x-ray films today from the hospital as I had been instructed to drop them off before my appointment tomorrow with the orthopedist. The receptionist said I could have just brought them with me tomorrow, I didn’t need to make an extra trip. However, it turned out that the doctor was in the office unexpectedly because he needed to see someone who they were unable to fit into tomorrow’s schedule. She said if I had time I could wait and see him today. He examined my foot and definitely found the area of pain. He injected the area with cortisone (boy did that hurt!) and now I am wearing a bigger boot for two weeks. One of my church friends who had ankle/foot surgery just graduated last week from casts to a boot. I guess I had boot envy.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 Since it is my driving foot (right foot), I don’t think I will be going many places the next 2 weeks unless my husband drives me. The boot sort of rocks you back on your heel so that the rest of the foot isn’t bearing weight. I will take it off to shower and at bedtime. It will be 2-3 days before the cortisone has any effect, if any. Right now my foot is sore from the shot. The doctor thinks there is inflammation, thus the cortisone. The area injected is around the os peroneum. I had never heard of it, but he showed it to me on the x-ray. Not everybody has this little “accesory bone/cartilage”.

I had thought about having a doctor look at my foot after two months of pain, but I was afraid that I might end up with one of these boots; it would have been impossible to visit Quebec City with a boot on. Unfortunately, when I did return home, it took several weeks to get in to see my primary care doctor. She is the one that had me wear the post-op shoe. I will say that it was only a 4 day wait (turned out to be only 3 days) to see the orthopedist. The referral went fast. If no improvement in 2 weeks, an MRI will be scheduled when/if the insurance company authorizes it. Just call me Hobble Along Cassidy.

No comments:

Post a Comment