Sunday, January 7, 2024

Home Chef Once Again

 Though I don't order meals from Home Chef regularly because of the cost (the heavy shipping charge really boosts the bill), in the past few months it was the meal choices that didn't interest me. Finally, this past Thursday a box arrived with ingredients for two meals and a lunch that could be microwaved in 3 minutes.

I didn't take photos of the food. The lunch was a bit weird. It was an Oriental chicken dish of chicken thigh, sweet potato noodles, edamame, and the label said roasted vegetables. When I looked at the ingredients list, I saw red pepper but the container also had purple stuff that I did not see listed. Maybe some kind of cabbage? It made many of the other ingredients purple. I have never eaten purple chicken before.

 I wanted to see if one container would be enough for 2 people for a light lunch. I had ordered two containers; but we could have easily shared. To order the lunches, you have to reach the required minimum dollar amount Home Chef has established to place an order. Mostly, that means adding lunch to dinner choices. We may add lunch to our dinner orders in the future, but probably not the Oriental chicken. 



A Creole spice packet was included with the trout to sprinkle on before cooking in a frying pan. It was a tasty addition. My shallot sauce only vaguely looked like the picture. It was more a tan color than white. It was also greasy. The instructions said to let it cool and add a teaspoon of cold water to reduce the greasiness. Didn't really work.

 The meal was flavorful as the mashed potatoes had mayonnaise and cheese added. Since trout is not readily available in my grocery stores, I would probably order this again. It did not come with any vegetable so I cooked some carrots. 


The pork chops were good but nothing special. My husband said the sauce reminded him of stroganoff. Probably would look for something else to order. 

I get tired of meal planning sometimes. At least with Home Chef there are many options, except I am picky.

My amaryllis had 4 blooms on the first stem. About the time the first bloom was shriveling up a bit, the second stem tried to open. It was crowded next to the already-blooming stem. I cut off the drying bloom, and now there is room for the next stem's blooms. I check the progress each day with joyful anticipation. A nice touch to a new year. 




No comments:

Post a Comment