Saturday, August 22, 2020

Warsaw Farmers' Market

This morning I visited the Warsaw Farmers' Market. I have never felt it is as good as the ones at Goshen and Plymouth. Out of about 15 booths there were 4 selling produce, 2 selling baked goods, 1 selling prepared tacos and other food. The rest were craft items including cloth facial masks. Of course only about 30% of the customers wore masks and those without had no intentions of buying any. Maybe they operate under the mind set of one of the young women in my church. If you are outside you don't need a mask according to her; except you do when you cannot social distance which she overlooks. I had people within 1-2 feet of me without masks. They would come up and browse where I was standing. 

The yellow and purple combo tomatoes are new to me. I prefer to buy a container of mixed varieties. The oatmeal raisin cookies seem quite cinnamony. I had hoped to find some sunflowers to buy. This market has had a few booths selling flowers in the past, but none today.

Winona Lake received a 1.5 million dollar grant to build an ice skating rink. It will not be enclosed, but it will have a roof. The town said it might use the facility in summer for a farmers' market. That would be grand. It won't be ready until autumn 2021 though.

Now the birch trees next to my western neighbors' deck are turning yellow. My prediction of an early fall might be right. However, it has been quite dry the past few weeks so it could just be because of stress.

My ladies Bible study will not be meeting. The leader will pre-record the lesson and make it available on her church's web site starting September 1st. At least I can watch it when it is convenient to me. I will read the passage and do the study questions before watching each week.

Last night we watched on the Grace Village TV channel 2 a concert. A young woman who started playing the violin at age 4 has gone on and excelled. Her father is the chaplain here as well as working maintenance. Rebecca and a pianist played some Schumann and other pieces. The new camera and sound system in the chapel made watching enjoyable. 

I am waiting a month to go to my church. I want to see how the in-person schooling goes. We have several educators and students at the church. The church does not require masks. They are singing 4-5 songs in the worship service.

 Notre Dame is already having trouble with the virus. It switched to online classes. My impression is that residents of northern Indiana are not very careful in complying with guidelines. 




No comments:

Post a Comment