Wednesday, April 15, 2020

First-Time Online Grocery Shopping With Store Pickup

Today was my first pickup of a local grocery store to-go order. It went pretty well. I had instructed them with the order to put the items in the trunk which we would open with a button inside the car. I see in the email reminder they sent today that they are now *requiring* people to do that or they will leave the basket of goods by the car but not unload them. 

We phoned that we were parked in the to-go space; the young man said he would be with us shortly. I would say from the label on one of the bags that they pick up perishables (milk, margarine/butter) and frozen goods when you call as the label said dry goods cart; frozen; dairy as though those were separate steps to carry out.

I didn't get the disinfectant wipes. No surprise there. I probably didn't get 2 items because I stated no substitution: the diet caffeine-free Pepsi and the low-acid orange juice. I don't know why there were no Spanish rice package nor cold cuts. Didn't have them I guess though I said substitution OK.  I really need the cold cuts. There were a few substitutions. For example, I ordered 4 packets of Idahoan instant potatoes (they were on sale). I ordered the small packets; I received the family size. I can use them OK by only using half a package instead of the whole one. They gave me a different brand of taco shells. I ordered 18-count egg carton but received 2 1-dozen cartons. The only other thing besides the cold cuts that I needed quickly was the Dove Sensitive Skin bars of soap. Hurray! They had those. And I can get by with tuna or egg salad instead of cold cuts for a few days. I did like very much today that I could order their specialty muffins and deli salads; those are two of the good features of that store.

I really appreciated the no-contact pickup. However, I found it took me a long time to fill out the order online. I guess you can save for future order items you use regularly. I will probably order again in 10-11 days. I still have quite a few things in my freezer at home to "shop" from. 

I may try to go to Meijer tomorrow (with my mask) during senior shopping hour to find the orange juice and cold cuts. I'd rather stay out of the stores, however. 


No comments:

Post a Comment