Friday, August 31, 2018

South Bend Farmers Market



In  Edible Michiana magazine I saw an ad for the South Bend Farmers Market and decided to visit. The market is open Monday thru Saturday during the summer, though Saturday is the big day all year round. Friday turned out to be not a very good day. Less than one third of the 80 stalls were open and active. 

This market is under roof. It has existed since the 1920's; the current building was constructed in the 1970's. A lot of the vendors are family operations that have been in the market for decades.

Most of the baked goods and non-food booths were closed today. Even several large produce stands were shuttered. The cheese market, tea /coffee/spices booth, weaver, were open. The lavender lady was closed. 


It is over an hour from where I live. I doubt I will go back. I find the Goshen and especially the Plymouth farmers markets are better for me and half the drive time. I have been disappointed in the local Warsaw market this year.

We ate breakfast at the restaurant (3 counters with stools). The food was meh and rather pricy.

The Michigan peaches won't be ripe for several days. The tomatoes were beauties. Egg plants, peppers, onions plentiful. The one item that I have noticed is scarce at farmers markets this year is zucchini. I will have to buy a few in the grocery store to grate and freeze so I have a supply to bake bread this fall. 


On the way home we stopped at The Farm to buy sweet corn. They are about done for the season. The corn available has worms she said and was sold to me for half price. We will cut out the wormy parts and eat it tonight. Our last batch for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment