Tuesday, August 14, 2018

About Ready

Just as there is a point when I am tired of my winter wardrobe, I am now tiring of my summer clothes. The kids are back at school this week. The maple I can see out my Western windows has tinges of color in the green leaves. It is always the first to change in my neighborhood. Actually, the foliage changes appeared about 10 days ago which is about 2 weeks earlier than last year. I am about ready for fall-like changes. Maybe they will be early?


The little white house dwarfed by the maple, red maple, and blue spruce is empty. The for-sale sign is gone though and there has been a little bit of activity trimming bushes, taking down the shredded drapes in the living room. We may soon have new neighbors. 

I am still enjoying the rudbeckia at the corner of my house. I haven't soured on summer, just ready for a change. 



I haven't posted on the blog because other than spending time in the air-conditioned house and going thru our usual routines, we haven't done much interesting. We did have my husband's two sisters over to play Upwards on Saturday, followed by snacking on watermelon. That was fun.

I recently finished  Across Islands and Oceans by James Baldwin. This man solo circumnavigated the globe about 30 years ago (1984-1986). He self-published? this book in 2012. (I bought it at the Episcopalian rummage sale). His used fiberglass sailboat was minimally equipped. No GPS in those days and he had a simple radio to communicate and radar alert to avoid collisions. He relied on a sextant and celestial navigation. 

His plan was to sail from Florida thru the Panama Canal, across the Pacific Ocean, stop in New Guinea for about 6 months during cyclone season, then cross the Indian Ocean to Africa, round the Cape of Good Hope, then cross the Atlantic.

He was disgruntled with modern civilization and wanted to interact with natives on small islands. He skipped Samoa for example because too much like American culture. His goal also was to trek on foot (hike) across small islands and climb the highest peak if possible. He certainly had adventures that I wouldn't choose, but I enjoyed his narrative and the descriptions of the tribes and islands in Oceania and the Indian Ocean. His longest sailing segment was the trans-Pacific crossing of over 4,000 miles and 45 days alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment