Monday, September 8, 2014

Miscellany

I have been struggling this past week with a respiratory virus combined with my pollen allergies and asthma. My husband and I tried so hard to keep him well, even sleeping in separate bedrooms, but alas today a scratchy throat showed up for him. This illness has some body aches and headache besides the scratchy throat, runny nose, and tight chest and cough. I have used my rescue inhaler several times to control wheezing. Today I finally feel a bit better and on the mend.

 

The timing has been fairly good. I have nothing scheduled all week. I had hoped to work in the library and maybe visit a nearby antique store, but that will have to wait. Somebody left about 15 donated books on the desk and I did a brief sort last Wednesday, but my achiness was growing so I left after doing that. I need to add them to Library Thing data base. I bought 20 books at Half Price Books Labor Day sale and those too need some processing.

 

Have you been reading about the Community Health Systems data breach? We unfortunately are part of that. Almost everybody in town is affected. We have one hospital and many of the physicians groups belong to that. All belong to Community Health Systems. When the media first broke the news, I immediately put freezes on our credit reports with all 3 bureaus. September 2nd I received my official notification and signed up for the free id security monitoring. My husband’s letter came Saturday. I asked for a free credit report from one of the bureaus today and see nothing suspicious. It did show the freeze I placed August 20th. Hoping that even though my personal information and Social Security number have been floating out in criminal cyberspace thanks to Chinese hackers, they didn’t take the opportunity to use it yet. It could still be used for medical fraud I suppose.

 

My Nook Color which I have owned for 2 1/2 years went berserk again. It had started to zoom in and out so you couldn’t read anything. I had tried several things including resetting it to factory settings. It didn’t zoom for a few weeks, but now is again, plus the touch screen freezes and you have to put it into sleep mode to change to a different activity. I bought an ipad last week. Now I have to learn how to use it. I have added a few apps, but I know there is more to do. Given the security breach, you may think I would swear off of electronic devices, but in some ways they do better my life. I especially want to be able to access email and Facebook and several blogs when I am in Gulf Shores, Alabama for a few weeks this winter. We only have prepaid cell phones that we use infrequently, no smart phones, so a tablet is helpful to us.

 

Time to go look at the Super Moon. We have a wonderful clear night with no clouds unlike the previous times. I need a reminder of God’s beauty. Are you able to look?

No comments:

Post a Comment