Saturday, June 22, 2013

Yard Sale Success

I generally don’t go to yard sales. Sometimes I will stop by one near my home, but normally I don’t find anything that interests me so I find them a waste of time. I work hard not to add clutter to my home; I have to really love the item or need it. Yesterday morning, however, was an exception. One of the ads stated Christian fiction as a sale item. I grabbed my notebook of fiction titles in Grace Village Retirement Library and my husband and I set off for breakfast in downtown Warsaw. We ate at BMacs, a local diner. Then we drove a few blocks over to Lake Street to find Perry Street. Sure enough, there was a good selection of Christian fiction. 50 cents a book, one free book for every 3 you bought. We bought one dozen for $4.50. The great thing was that two of those fill in gaps in a Michael Phillips series in our library.

 I had perused the garage sale ads because one of my neighbors is having a tool sale. His macular degeneration makes it risky to use woodworking tools anymore. I had noticed an add for a sale on 3rd Street in Winona Lake as well. We stopped there as we drove home. 3 more books for the GV library, though these cost $1 or $2. I also found a decorating book for myself which I will read and then cut apart for my "collection jar"  folder. 

Last Saturday we visited a Senior Expo here in town. Mostly health related, but there were a few other booths. My husband bought a copy of an updated history of Winona Lake at the Kosciusko County Visitor’s Bureau booth. He knows the author Terry White and as he talked with him, I made the comment to the director of the bureau that I wish we had a copy of the book for the Grace Village Library. She surprised me by offering to donate a copy if I would come by the tourist office on Monday. I did and now we have a great addition to our library.

This week has been the exception to my garage sale experiences. Who knows, maybe I’ll stop at a few more throughout the summer.

1 comment:

  1. love the blue and white place mats - and at bargain prices.

    ReplyDelete