Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Moodling

Today we look at another funny term, one that came from a book written in the 1930s. I first came across the word moodling while reading some of Sarah Ban Breathnach’s Simple Abundance works. She quoted Brenda Ueland. “So you see, imagination needs moodling—long inefficient, happy idling, dawdling, and puttering.” You can understand why this is a foreign concept in today’s go, go, go lifestyle.
This web site  discusses moodling in relation to creativity. I have found when working on an oral presentation, that once the research is done, it is best to let some time go by and while doing some “mindless” work, often how to organize or better state the points pops into my mind. If you have pursuits where time flows by unconsciously, say while reading or surfing the web or doing a jigsaw puzzle or knitting or quilting or walking in nature, it is almost like the mind is put into a mode of receptivity for creative thinking. Don’t get me wrong. I am not full of wonderful creative ideas, but I have noticed times when this shift of thinking occurs, and I feel ready to bring together thoughts in a different and better way. Sometimes, coming up with a solution to a problem also comes about in this moodling time.

People need to disengage from the busy-ness of life and moodle. Let’s hear it for moodling. Amen!

What interesting concepts or words have you encountered in your reading that you would share with us? We would love to hear about them.

2 comments:

  1. You are introducing us to some interesting terms. I thought this post would be about using the program Moodle for online learning. I used it a few times when I was taking online classes from our community college. But I like this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After posting I happened to Google moodle and discovered it is a computer program. But I also saw some quotes using the word as a verb in the sense of the noun moodling. I hadn't even thought it might be a name for something in existence.

    ReplyDelete