Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pricklies and Smoothies

This has been one of those weeks where my puny human perspective about what fills my bowl has been tested.
Prickly: Monday I spent several hours in the library trying to set up the touch-screen Telikin computer. After dismantling the computer and peripherals to be replaced, I followed the directions in the Telikin manual. I soon had a web page displayed and even checked my gmail. I stopped to answer a question and when I returned to the Telikin not only was it unable to access the internet but to my dismay the other computer had the same problem and the wireless access was also not available. I set up the old equipment which did not solve the problem and notified the person who oversees the electronic equipment. He sent me an email informing me that he had replaced the modem and router with a newer combo router and modem before clocking out for the day.
Smoothie: I returned to the library Tuesday to try again. Dismantled the old setup, hooked up the Telikin and it was instantly on the internet. While attending the monthly birthday/anniversary party, one of my “students” who had given up learning how to use a computer because of unsteady hands making it almost impossible to use the mouse saw this new computer. When I returned, he had already figured out how to get on the web. He was having a great time.
Prickly: Because I spent so much time in the library Monday, I put off doing my laundry until Tuesday. About 9:30 a.m. we discovered we had no water. The maintenance man checked it out and said it probably was the water softener as the well showed plenty of pressure. He went across the street to the water building. He didn’t return, but the water came back. I put my white sheets and 2 white blouses and a few other items in the washing machine with the detergent. To my horror, when the cycle was thru and I went to get the items  to put in the dryer, the sheets were tea colored and the blouses streaked with rust. I learned that the central water softener had broken, and they had bypassed it so we were now getting untreated water. Why didn’t they tell me this?
Smoothie: A product from the grocery store removed the rust from the white items. The softener wasn’t fixed until about noon Wednesday and I was gone all day so the clothes were not “rescued” until last night. It took 2 washings, but they are OK.
Prickly: My plan for Wednesday was to go to Fort Wayne to pick up some AAA tour books, then drive an hour south to an herb garden where I wanted to see the lavender fields. I was almost to Fort Wayne when I realized the printed address and directions to the garden near Hartford City had been left behind.
Smoothie: The nice lady at AAA looked up the address and printed a Triptik for me.
Prickly: Because of our strange spring weather, the lavender was mostly already harvested.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Smoothie: Though disappointed with the garden, I had combined the trip with errands in Fort Wayne so at least part of the mileage wasn’t wasted. I also bought this cute plate in the garden gift shop.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We get the thorns with the roses. The bowl of life has its pricklies and its smoothies.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         Rose given to us at the monthly party by GV in honor of our anniversary.

1 comment:

  1. It must be rewarding to see a new world (the internet) opened up to some one.

    ReplyDelete