Saturday, June 23, 2012

From My Front Porch

The last few days have been cooler, nice enough to sit on the porch again. I try to water my plants each day if the soil feels dry. Despite the recent heat, even the pansies seem to be doing OK. The unit next door is vacant, but even those plants are putting on a colorful display for me to view.
P1010410             P1010412
Yesterday morning my husband and I drove the country roads to Teel's restaurant in Mentone. If you visit there, keep in mind that the bacon that comes with your breakfast is a huge pile. I ate 4 pieces from my husband’s order, he ate at least 6 pieces, and we still have about that much left over that we will eat in BLT sandwiches today. We learned from our first visit, only one person needs to order bacon.
This morning I went to two farmers’ markets in search of some early tomatoes for today’s sandwiches: the one at the fairgrounds that has a few holdouts unwilling to relocate, and the new one downtown. No luck with tomatoes so had to stop at the grocery store. While crossing the road from the downtown farmers’ market, a car full of ladies asked me if this was Winona Lake. Somehow they had missed the turnoff and proceeded to Warsaw where they were forced to make a decision as Center Street is closed for the market sellers. I instructed them how to get to The Village at Winona, but today is less than ideal as a big triathlon is in progress this morning.
Last night we attended the symphony concert of the Masterworks Festival which is also held in Winona Lake. Excellent as usual. We plan to go tonight to another concert if my husband isn’t wiped out from helping with the triathlon.
Winona Lake is a great place to live and to visit.

2 comments: