Friday, May 4, 2012

An Introvert

I read an interesting blog recently. It is titled The Introverted Church and the author Adam McHugh has also authored a book on the subject.
I’ve known from the time I was old enough to understand the concept that I am an introvert. I never stopped to consider that today’s evangelical churches practice a form of social extroversion. Potluck suppers, stand and verbally share to the larger group, shake hands and greet during the service. As McHugh points out, not involving one’s self in the expected way is equated with being “less spiritual”.
But sometimes we do have to step outside our comfort zones to participate in the community life of the church. He suggests spiraling in and out, having private quiet time to renew the energy that is drained out from such encounters for an introvert. Introverts are not energized by people-to-people contact in groups.
It’s an intriguing theory and way of looking at church culture. I must add his book to my to-read list.




No comments:

Post a Comment