Tuesday, May 29, 2012

7 in 7


  

We learned at the end of last week that one of our condo neighbors had died. He is the seventh one to pass away in the past 7 months. I suppose that death is to be expected in a neighborhood of senior citizens, but we have been told this number of residents passing away in a short period is unusual. It is rather sobering.
We settled into our retirement condo at a relatively young age wanting to get to know people and enjoy the community. I expected long-lasting relationships. I overlooked that many of our neighbors have reached 80 and beyond. They are almost done with their sojourn on earth. While I may have many more years, Lord willing, to enjoy my new home, they may soon go to a heavenly home.
One might expect that the people who will move into the empty condos would be younger, but we are seeing so many who are in their late 70’s and early 80’s. Many have pressing health issues. I would encourage people who have any interest in moving to a retirement community to do it by age 70. You will have the vitality to get involved in the community. You will have the clearness of mind to learn and to remember the names of your neighbors. You might have a decade or more to enjoy your new home and community.
My ‘hood has wonderful people with varied interests. Some still pursue interests from earlier years. One of our newest neighbors is Esther Powers Miller. She does lovely watercolor paintings. You can see her work at her webpage. I just wish most of my neighbors would be around for more than a handful of years. I am going to enjoy them while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment