Thursday, March 2, 2023

Wild Turkey, Peeps Bird's Nest, Winter Not Done

 This morning as I drove home from the grocery store where I picked up my online order, I turned south onto 250 East and had to stop for a creature crossing the road. To my surprise, it was a wild turkey taking its time to strut across the road. 

Yesterday at Winona Literary Club, one of the hostesses had at each seat a bird's nest with a Peeps marshmallow chick. I brought it home to my husband as I am not too sure pretzel sticks fit into my diet right now.


We had fruit cups and angel food cake so this was something extra she wanted to do. I did not eat the pineapple and orange pieces in the fruit cup; my avoidance list says to wait to eat acidic items, especially pineapple. I did eat the grapes and melon and the cake.

We may get some light snow overnight, but mostly it will turn to rain for tomorrow. Yesterday felt like spring. My daffodil shoots are growing, and I even see some crocus leaves; but I doubt there will be any crocus flowers as I think the flowers were eaten last year fairly early. 

It has been a month since my LINX device was implanted. I ate half a cinnamon raisin bagel yesterday, and I had an open-face sandwich (one slice of bread toasted) with turkey coldcuts and Swiss cheese. 

I am not looking forward to Daylight Savings Time in a little over a week; I would be happy to be on Standard Time all year round. I am not a morning person. Having some light outside helps me get out of bed, but it will be dark until past 8 a.m. after March 11th. 

I have been reading quite a few books on Hoopla. The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette had an article about Sharon Tubbs and the book she wrote about her grandfather. I was surprised to find it on Hoopla because it came out in 2023. Since February was Black History month, They Got Daddy was featured in the Fort Wayne newspaper as Mrs. Tubbs is a local resident. It was interesting to read about the blacks who migrated from Alabama in the 1950s and 1960s to this Indiana town. Many of her aunts and uncles settled close to each other.

 The main part of the story though takes place in Alabama where her grandfather was injured in an auto accident and disabled. The driver that hit his car was a sheriff from a nearby town while on duty transporting a person to a mental facility. The law people who came to the accident cited the sheriff. Even so, nothing was done to offer restitution to her grandfather who lost use of one of his arms and could no longer support his family doing well digging.

 Eventually, a lawyer was retained, and a civil suit filed. It dragged on for several years. The day before her grandfather was to testify in court, he was abducted from his home, driven far away, and beaten with a rubber hose. Something miraculous happened to scare away the white men beating him, or he felt he would have died in the woods. However, justice for a poor black man in Alabama was hard to obtain. Sharon's grandfather decided to drop the suit because he feared for the well-being of his family. He was a preacher and presented his decision as God-guided. 

Mrs. Tubbs has worked as a journalist. The book is interesting mainly because she not only hunts down documentation, but interviews relatives and local people who remembered the case. In the process, she relates to black people in Alabama and realizes where some of her own anxieties living in a white-dominant world came from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment