Saturday, December 18, 2021

Quiet Here

I haven't posted here for 2 weeks. Now that Winona Literary Club is on winter hiatus and last night the Grace Village Choir presented its Christmas concert things will slow down. 

I took the magazine rack we purchased in Dallas at Weir's Furniture to Habitat for Humanity ReStore today. Edible Michiana that comes out quarterly and that I picked up for free through the years at restaurants in the area and enjoyed so much are most likely outdated as the pandemic has caused many small food businesses and dining venues to close. I discarded them and moved some other magazines to my other magazine storage.

My husband built this for me as a gift a few years ago.
It does have the advantage of having a flat tabletop so I can keep things like my reading glasses handy. 

A task my husband has wanted me to do for several weeks is to get rid of the expired over-the-counter meds and first aid items in the drawers in "his" bathroom. Most of the stuff is 2-4 years over the expiration date, but I have a small bottle of Tylenol that says 2006. I am thinking, however, that it isn't really that old because I think that I put some pills in there for traveling because it was a handy size to pack. But not knowing how old the pills actually are, I will dispose of them.


My next step is to replace most of them by using my Medicare Advantage OTC credits. I do that online, but we continue to get the catalog.

I am accumulating a pile of things to take to Goodwill, also, but think I will wait until the week after Christmas. Most of them are books, a few clothes.

My church puts out a daily Bible reading plan in increments of 12-13 weeks. The one I just finished included all of Genesis and all of Mark and a few Psalms at the end of the week. I had looked up some verses in The Message before but not read long passages in that paraphrase. I do not like it! I especially dislike the Psalms in street language. I have decided to donate The Message to Goodwill. 

I also sorted through my Christmas music CDs. I only got rid of 4 (kept 15). I took these to the Grace Village Give-and-take table.

We are starting to cut back on being with people in crowds. We already livestreamed our church service last Sunday. I did go to Meijer for groceries rather than ordering for pick-up. I mostly don't miss shopping in person; I see that there are limitations on amounts you can buy in the store again. I did find some ground beef marked down almost half off that I would have missed if not in person. 

Actually, yesterday our county had a significant drop in COVID cases. The Thanksgiving surge may be over. However, with all of the concerts and Christmas events last week and this week, I won't be surprised to see another surge. We do have omicron in Indiana but as far as I know not in the northern part where I live. As an older more vulnerable person, I am not up to taking risks I see younger people taking (no vax, no masks, no social distancing). I understand the desire to have some "normalcy".

I have eaten lots of Moose Munch the past few days. I need to throttle back. Our neighbor brought us a small tin of homemade toffee this afternoon. Lots of See's candy sitting around too (Christmas gifts). I did send some of the Moose Munch in a tin with my husband to the woodworking/hobby shop; according to him, the two regulars are munching away. Getting some help in avoiding eating too much myself.

Hope you are enjoying some treats (in moderation). I hope to drive around to look at Christmas lights next week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment