Thursday, December 17, 2020

Lining Up

 I have completed my last two surgery-related medical visits. Things are lining up. I have applesauce, jello, and pudding cups; Ensure bottles; cranberry juice on the kitchen counters. I will probably have a very sore throat for several days. Likely to prefer the above items and soup for awhile. This Sunday I will probably arrange my refrigerator to fit in the cups, juice, and Ensure. 

I got my portable CD player out of storage and will put in new batteries and pick out some music CDs to play. I also have a portable DVD player and two movies in mind to watch. I know I will be dozing off from the pain meds, but distracting the mind also helps with pain.

I bought a small Samsung tablet for $99 online at Best Buy on a Black Friday sale. My ipad was starting to freeze up again plus since Apple no longer updates it, I can't download some newer apps. Now I have a blog I read daily, several games, and my subscription newspapers bookmarked and ready to use in the coming weeks. I might also watch streamed church services on YouTube. I can read email as well. I will continue to use the ipad for reading books.

My husband is going to move my recliner chair next to my bed. I will be able to move my electric blanket from my bed to the chair. I expect the first few days I will be spending lots of time in the chair. I plan to "sleep" there for several nights.

My visit with my family doctor yesterday for the pre-op physical was reassuring. She said the "abnormal" EKG was a natural variation and nothing to worry about.

Today I made a required visit to an ENT doctor to evaluate the vocal cords. At first I was annoyed to have to make this visit and pay $40. I did not have to do this in 2003 when I had similar surgery. 

However, I really liked the doctor and he explained well why it was a good thing to do. He said most doctors doing an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion do not require the evaluation; he applauded Dr. Smith for his proactive forward thinking. There is about a 2% risk of completely losing the voice from stretching/injury to the cords during the surgery. They are pushed to one side (retracted). Dr. Nuckols said that if the vocal cords are both in good shape, damage to one cord would not lead to loss of voice. The uninjured cord can compensate. My cords look fine. He also told me if he needed spinal surgery, there were two doctors he would choose from, one being Dr. Smith. That boosted my confidence in my surgeon.

The exam involved a small camera attached to a flexible cord pushed up my nose and down toward the throat and cords. Not pleasant but not as uncomfortable as the swabbing for the COVID test. God prepared me for today by having gone through that.

Not only do I understand better the reason for the scoping, but my discussion with the doctor about my GERD (reflux) was very profitable. At the junction where the throat meets the esophagus he could see some swelling and inflammation. I am often clearing my throat. He said the brain interprets that swelling as something stuck in the throat. It might also play a part in the feeling of getting food stuck high up in my esophagus. He had some ideas to try. Maybe they will work and I will resolve some of the GERD effects as well. 

I probably won't be sitting at the computer much post-op. In case I don't get back soon to post, have a blessed Christmas.




No comments:

Post a Comment