Thursday, March 12, 2020

Stocking Up

Today when I did my regular grocery shopping, I added many things to my cart for future use. I am stocking up in case I need to socially distance myself. When we were gone for 2 weeks, I had a bottle of sealed ultra-pasteurized milk in the fridge for when we returned. The expiration date was in June. Today I bought 3 more. We eat a lot of cereal; this way, we will have a milk supply even if we don't go out of our home for several weeks. I did not stock up on toilet paper, other than the package I bought because I had a coupon, but I saw people with multiple large packages. I don't get that need to stock up on tp. If things get really bad, I guess we can use the pick-up service of local stores rather than go inside. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. 

 Grace Village is requiring "outsiders" to report to the front desk to minimize exposure to sick people. They are cancelling some group activities. We only received a sketchy memo so don't really know what is going on. One of the grocery stores had cashiers and baggers wearing gloves. Now we hear that Grace College has a student being tested for Corona virus. If that student has it, it will be the first known case in our county. 

I have hard decisions to make. I am still going to my Y class; we always wipe down the equipment with disinfectant wipes. I push the handicap door button with my elbow to enter and use my butt to push the bar on the door to exit. All of the Y employees have been tested for Covid-19 and tested negative. They are to self-monitor by taking their temps at home and not come to work if they have a fever. 

But I go to a ladies Bible study with more than 60 people and to the literary club with a couple dozen. Should I stop going to those? I have asthma and am older so supposedly I am at greater risk. Right now, I intend to go to those activities next week. I also intend to do my weekly grocery shopping. How will I know when to stop being involved? It will be a judgment call. I don't want to over react, but I need to protect myself. Difficult times right now mostly because of uncertainty. 

Are you modifying your behavior? Do you feel anxious? Any suggestions of ways to prepare?

No comments:

Post a Comment