Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Staying In (Mostly)

I had to go to 3 different grocery stores today to find what I wanted.
The first two stores had no frozen vegetables except weird things like okra. (The canned vegies also gone). The third store had plenty of frozen vegetables. All 3 stores were out of pancake mix, rice, chicken breasts (including the frozen ones). There were swaths of empty shelves. At Meijer they were vigorously trying to restock tuna, soup, other things. At Owens there was nobody trying to restock the shelves. They are limiting customers to 3 milk items, 3 bread items, 3 cereal. They are closing early (8 p.m.?) each evening; that is when they will try to restock. 

Martin's had no chicken breasts, but I bought quarters. They had a full case of eggs, however, while the other 2 stores only had "odd" eggs like brown or organic. Owens had pizzas, Meijer almost none. There was a grim feeling as people shopped. I don't think we expected people to do binge buying since we have no virus cases in our county. A sad indication of our current situation was that Sandy the mechanical horse in Meijer which costs one penny to ride was gone. (Too germy I guess) The sign said that Sandy is resting in her stable. Just what I am going to be doing soon, too. 

I am stocked up now for 2 and if variety isn't an issue for possibly 3 weeks. One of the baggers commented to the older couple in front of me that the store wasn't busy today like over the weekend. She said maybe people ran out of money. That is going to be too true soon.

Our governor has shut down restaurants except for pick-up or delivery. I see Doordash now has 8 or 9 local restaurants included that were not part of that before. No diners=no need for waitresses and waiters and busboys. I did go to church Sunday and out to a favorite Mexican restaurant. Now with the new 50-person restriction, our church won't meet. Our pastor's daughter has a wedding scheduled for April 25th. She is in a hard place of uncertainty. Indiana did have its first Covid-19 death yesterday. Still only around 25 infected, but since we started out with only 100 tests for the entire state, it's anybody's guess who truly has the novel corona virus.

The public library announced on Facebook last night that they are closed until April 14th. No advance warning. Usually, I could go to Grace Village's library to find books, but they are not letting Robin Hood (condo) residents past the lobby. I stopped in at Goodwill this morning. The fiction selection can be hit or miss, but I did find 4 books that interested me. If I get cabin fever, I will go again next Tuesday when they have the senior half-off day and look at the hardbound books more closely. I do have about a dozen books on my ipad. I have never tried downloading from the public library digital resources. I may give that a try.

My regular weekly activities have shut down. The Y is open, but no group exercise classes are taking place. Grace Village shut its community center down through April so no Literary Club meetings. My ladies Bible study has over 50 people, plus its host church is closed. Grace Village also discontinued group activities so the vocal choir with which I would be practicing and "performing" is not meeting. 

I bought some cotton yarn at Meijer and will knit some dishcloths. I have photos from trips two years ago that need to go in an album. We have lots of jigsaw puzzles. This week I am working on my income taxes. We will settle into a new routine. Grace Village sent an email out to the residents saying to let them know if we need groceries or meds or errands run. The staff will help us with no fee.
Our church also said to let them know if we have needs. So we will get along OK. 

How fast everything changed! But God has not changed. He still loves and cares for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment