Thursday, May 23, 2019

Sheltered

When the weather radio alert went off around 5 a.m. I turned it off and went back to sleep. I had heard the thunder and seen the lightning. I worried a bit about the new hanging basket I bought yesterday and the other two pots on the porch, but really what could I do about them. If I knew a big storm was coming through, I would have put them in the corner of the porch to protect them from wind; but though I knew rain was predicted, I had no idea the storm would be so severe.


When I got up around 7:15, I immediately went to the front door and peeked out. My plants were just as I had left them. I noticed my across-the-street neighbor's two pots had blown over. Otherwise everything seemed peaceful.

It turns out Grace Village is an exception in the town of Winona Lake. I went to Martin's to pick up a few grocery specials, driving on Highway 30. I guess I didn't notice the roof damage to the Economy Inn. Coming home from Owens was a different story. As I drove King's Highway in Winona, I noticed the side streets were blocked off with cones. The streets were full of limbs. Grace College also had a crew out gathering up branches and fallen limbs.

 I see on the internet news that the downtown of Warsaw has no power and the library and city offices are closed. The Warsaw school district also cancelled classes today because of power outages. The area across from the lake of Winona where there is a green space and park also has lots of limbs down and some trees snapped in two. God was gracious to our home and retirement community in light of what happened to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment