Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Santa Rosa California

As I was sorting through the papers in my file cabinet recently, I came across a few paragraphs written by my grandmother shortly before she died and used in her memorial service. She mentioned growing up in Kelseyville, Lake County, California before as a teen she moved in with her aunt in Pico Rivera. I wondered how far north Lake County was so I looked it up on a map. Not too far north of Sonoma County and Santa Rosa. 

About two weeks later the horrendous fires that put Santa Rosa in the news occurred. I remembered hearing that the man who led my church choir in Mesquite, Texas ended up in Santa Rosa after serving in the church in Pacific Palisades to where he moved from Mesquite. It has been over 20 years since I last saw him. Google found him for me at Santa Rosa Bible Church. On the church web site I learned that the church was readying to have a church service at 2 p.m. Sunday in another church as their church sat in the evacuation zone. Also, 40 church families had lost their homes to the fire. [There is a relief fund you can contribute to described on the church web page.]

Curious about Stan and Lori, I again did an internet search for an address. They live in the Brushy Creek area in the foothills and were at risk. The video on the church site mentioned that Stan would be coming from the foothills to help lead the church service. From what I can tell about the fire, they have been spared so far. Hopefully, they will not lose their home. Conditions do seem to be improving allowing for containment of the fires. Pray for our suffering Christian sisters and brothers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment