Saturday, October 14, 2017

Goshen Farmers' Market

After breakfast at Lux Café this morning, we headed over to the farmers' market on Washington Street. The eggs Benedicts we ate at the café were good, but slightly disappointing as they used ham rather than the Canadian bacon listed on the menu. A diverse menu; the pancakes looked huge, the crepes also generously sized. So many Amish/Mennonite folks in the restaurant. Even had a few buggies tied around back. This restaurant is on US 33, a busy road for bikes and buggies, but we saw a few. One table of 8 Amish ladies had a non-Amish lady eating with them; I suspect she was the driver of a hired van.

I meant to take my camera this morning but forgot; you will have to see my purchases rather than the lovely produce, etc. in the market. This market is in a building, and we found out there is a café. I would have liked to buy some of the baked goods in the café, but the line at the register to pay was a dozen deep. Instead we bought at a booth a pumpkin muffin to have with our scrambled eggs tomorrow. I learned this market is open on Tuesday afternoons in the summer though with fewer vendors than on Saturday.

I was glad to get the fall edition of Edible Michiana. This free magazine is always interesting to peruse.

A vendor was busy making a floral arrangement for a gentleman, but she paused long enough for me to buy my 5 stems. 

I also bought some heirloom tomatoes. The grower told me the name of the orangish ones but now I forget. She said they are one of her favorites for flavor. We'll try one at lunch. She threw in the little green zebra tomato for free when I mentioned I had never eaten one of those. A very pleasant and informative lady with dried dirt on her fingers and under her nails. The real McCoy.

I bought Jan Karon's newest book To Be Where You Are at Meijer to add to the Grace Village library. I need to make a bookplate as the book was purchased with money given in memory of a former resident. 


Not much color in the leaves yet. Still corn and soybeans unharvested in the fields we passed, too. Lots of pumpkins and autumn/Halloween décor though on porches and yards.

Time to make our lunch sandwiches and slice the tomato. Hope you are enjoying your mid-October Saturday.



No comments:

Post a Comment