Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Lagging

I know it has been awhile since I posted. My husband and I spent about a week in California helping to clean out my mom’s rental house as she has now moved to an assisted living community. She has been in the house for 16 years with no attempts to declutter or organize her stuff. In fact, there were boxes in the garage that had made the previous move and never been opened or unpacked, coated with dust.

There was a lot of hauling of books to the public library retail shop, throwing out of expired food (some of the cans were bulging and very old), sorting out closets and drawers and cupboards and deciding what to keep for a garage sale and what to put in the dumpster. It was tiring work, but we managed to get most of the house in good shape for new renters. My sister who lives in California still has lots of papers to go through (2 file cabinets).

We were given TSA pre-check status on all of our flights. We had short security waits, and no wait when leaving John Wayne Airport last Sunday when we checked our bags at 6:15 a.m. We saw on TV the last 10 laps of the Indy 500 as we ate in a Chili’s at O’Hare airport. Our connection from Chicago to Indy was a short flight, but the race fan traffic was over by the time we landed. We stopped at a Perkins east of Indianapolis for some supper; it was 10:15 EDT when we arrived home. A long day.

Today I finally feel adjusted to my home time zone. I had jet lag all of Monday and most of Tuesday.

Today I went to Menards and bought some plants. I have had so much trouble the past 2 years with powdery mildew on the petunias and calibrachoa, I decided to try something different. I bought a hanging basket of impatiens and for my pot, delphiniums. I know from the tag that delphiniums are perennials, but mine will need to survive in a pot through the summer, then probably be discarded. My husband wanted to plant some impatiens in the rose bush bed; the neighbors on the other end of our quadplex plant them every year. He planted some this morning and then this afternoon we had some sprinkles which watered them.



The plan is to go to Fernwood Botanical Garden in Niles, Michigan this Friday. Maybe I will have some photos to share this weekend.

At least the slight rain dropped the temperature from around 80 to 70. I have the patio door and front door open for some fresh air. Looks like from the radar that there will be no rain when I grill some chicken in about an hour.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment