Wednesday, June 15, 2016

From California to Indiana

 

I brought back a few items from my mother’s house in Whittier. She has moved to an assisted living apartment. My husband and I were there to help clear out her house to make it ready for a new tenant. It is owned by my sister and brother-in-law.

Only a few items have nostalgic memories associated with them. In the lidded glass “jar” my mother mixed up tuna for sandwiches.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I remember the bud vase (there is a set of 2) because it was part of an extensive crystal set that sat in the china hutch. The dish was below in the cupboard; I was surprised when I found it while sorting through the hutch. I don’t remember ever using any of this set (goblets, sherbets, dish, etc.) in any of the 25 years I lived with my parents. I have used the pretty etched bud vase twice since arriving home in Indiana.

There were some practical kitchen utensils that I had noticed when helping my mom after her rehab from abdominal cancer surgery several years ago. The hand beater was in better shape than the one I owned. I packed them in my luggage as she won’t need them at her AL.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I knew there were some Dutch motif figurines and items somewhere in the house. My father’s ancestors came from the Netherlands, and he would buy some decorative items related to this ancestry. I don’t know that I remember the pair I have now, but a corner cabinet in the eating area of our kitchen held things like this. Made in Japan. Not even Dutch, but cute.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

When my maternal grandmother died, I was unable to attend the funeral or choose from her possessions a keepsake. My mom chose a little pitcher/vase made in England for herself. When I was there for the cancer surgery recovery, she suggested than when she no longer owned the vase, I could have it as a remembrance of my grandmother.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Remembrances of my paternal grandmother are the crocheted doilies.

P6141351

The guest bedroom drawers I cleaned out had lots of gift bags (30? 40?) and Christmas decorations. I was tempted to claim some, but I finally decided to take a small magnet and an angel ornament.

The other things I brought home with me have no nostalgic connections. I liked them and had room in the luggage for them.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Smoked glass sugar/creamer set with sticker made in Sweden still on them.

P6141347

Cutting board still in package. I had been thinking of trying one of these glass? acrylic? boards.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

A scarf in a color I like.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

My mom asked if I would take the blue and white necklace; she had previously given it to a lady whose widower asked her to take it back. The “pearls” were in a dresser drawer with all sorts of free things from Humane Society and other organizations most of which was quite junky. The silver bracelet was in the dining hutch drawer. The clasp was broken. I have jerry rigged a fix and polished it up some. I can fit it around my wrist just barely.

There are a few small things my mom has in her apartment that I might ask for when she dies, but mostly this is what I have from her belongings. I brought home two tablecloths with stains that I will work on, but not too likely they will clean up well. I also brought home some gasoline company road maps and a Saturday Evening Post from the 1930s that I will try to sell on ebay.

I put most of the glassware in my carryon bag. When I  got home, I found my checked bag contents rearranged and a note from the TSA that my bag had been randomly selected for search. I am sure they have seen stranger things in suitcases.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment