Friday, June 27, 2014

Finally Finished

I started this needlepoint bell pull over 20 years ago. I had it about half way done when I had to stop because of carpal tunnel syndrome. I didn’t want to throw it away after so many hours of work; I stuck it in a plastic bag in a closet. A few years ago I decided to take it with me on vacation trips and do some needlepointing. By the beginning of this year, I had all of the seasons done except winter. 


Finally, while at Amelia Island in February I worked on it while watching the Winter Olympics on TV. I was able to get all of the needlepointing done, but alas when I looked at the directions I realized I was supposed to attach a fabric backing. I had to shop for fabric. Since I don’t have a sewing machine, I attached it all by hand sewing. This week I worked on the top tabs and the tassel. The directions for making the tassel were about as clear as mud. It isn’t the greatest tassel, but it is done. I thought the kit came with a dowel rod but couldn’t find it; my husband made me a very nice rod. Right now I have it hanging on an acrylic over-the-door wreath hanger, but I can see that doesn’t work very well. I think I will get a shorter hanger and then try tying yarn around the ends of the rod to make a loop of yarn to drape over the hanger.


I guess I really am not quite done since I need to work on the hanger. I feel done though, and relieved. This is not a design I would select at this time in my life. I haven’t done any other needlepoint in the intervening years either, just counted cross-stitch and now starting to knit. It is always a good feeling to finish a project though, even one with challenges. Now I can get out my knitting yarn and try some new projects with the yarn I bought at a garage sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment