Sunday, June 15, 2014

Eureka

I have been looking for something to hold umbrellas, canes, etc. to set next to my front door for 5 or 6 years now. I love the salt-glazed crocks, especially the ones with a blue flower or motif, but they cost hundreds of dollars, way out of my budget. This goal gave me something specific to hone in on when visiting antique stores. I have considered china and metal objects as possibilities; even a tall coal hod. That search ended Friday at Heart of the Lakes Antique Mall in North Webster.

 


While this is not salt-glazed, the bright blue bands go very well with the décor of my living room. I believe this is a butter churn minus its lid and paddle. Notice the “ears” or handles. On the bottom it says R.R.P. Co. Roseville, Ohio. This is not to be confused with Roseville Pottery which made decorative/art objects which are highly collectible. According to the internet, this is Robinson, Ransbottom Pottery Company. It is noted for utilitarian objects. It manufactured pickling crocks and churns and things of that nature until 2005. I really have no way to know how old my churn is. It was not a bargain, but I think I paid a fair price and it was within my budget.

You can clear up any confusion with Roseville Pottery by reading a little history of Robinson, Ransbottom.  

I am pleased to have found this crock. Lest you think I won’t be visiting any more antique stores, there are a few other items on my desiderata list and of course there is always the fun of serendipity. I picked up this retro tablecloth on the same browsing expedition.



No comments:

Post a Comment