Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Operation Christmas Child

 

I have been participating in Samaritan’s Purse Operation Christmas Child for several years now. After my sister who worked at the North Carolina distribution/shipping point told me that the 10-14 years-old category had the least boxes, I shifted to buying for a girl age 10-14.

I do have some method to my shopping. I always include candy. I start out at Walmart to see what kind of purses/bags have been marked down. Usually I find a cloth bag in denim or other fabric. Last year it was a sunny yellow and white print hobo bag. This year I had to settle for a tote bag. I usually include a solar calculator and pencils and a tablet or booklet. The pencils this year have the sharpener included in the package. Besides the pencils, I try to include something that can be shared with family or friends; this year a package of combs. You would think children in poverty would want to keep items for themselves, but usually they generously share if given the opportunity. This year I added a bright bandana scarf and a pink hat. The box is full.

I have only “tracked” my package once, and I was disappointed that I was told the destination was Africa rather than a specific country in Africa. These are not the cute toys so many boxes have, but they should be enjoyed by a girl on the brink of womanhood. These girls are in the final years of the program, and any decision they make to accept Christ will impact their own children who are probably not too far in the future.

Why don’t you think about filling a box this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment