Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Walk In the Woods

My husband bought a trail bike about 6 weeks ago. He heads out from our house thru some trees and college cross-country running trails, crosses Pierceton Road, and then enters the world of Winona Lake trail biking. You can see the trail layout and interesting names on this map. It is a pretty extensive system. Today he wanted me to walk some of the paths with him so I could see what he enjoys so much early mornings. He has a more solitary experience than we had today and often sees deer. Lots of people out in the near-perfect weather of 74 degrees this afternoon. A few of the colorful names are not on the map such as Privy Point and Puke Point but there is signage to that effect.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

I especially liked the first part of the walk as we traveled alongside part of Cherry Creek. Leaves floated down on the gentle breeze and carpeted the forest. As we started out, we saw a downy woodpecker on a tree trunk. I have missed those since moving to our condo. At our former house, there were several dying and decaying trees which attracted them and other woodpeckers and flickers.

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The trees are still wearing the fall foliage. My little point-and-shoot camera doesn’t do them justice.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

I had my husband drop me off at the congregant housing part of the retirement village. I wanted to photograph the beautiful mums there. A few peppers and tomatoes in the garden. In the dining room the gardening club puts out produce to share. Mostly green tomatoes today. I picked up a few and I am going to try making fried green tomatoes tomorrow for lunch. I have never tried making those; we did enjoy some in a restaurant in Asheville, North Carolina many years ago. I picked a recipe from the internet. What has been your experience with fried green tomatoes? Any recipe suggestions or tips? I’ll let you know how they turn out.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Tomorrow the temps are expected to plunge into the 50s for the daytime. Fried green tomatoes might go well with chicken noodle soup and chocolate chip cookies.

P1010355 Last year the bushes along the side of our house had such nice fall color. I ended up with a hodgepodge today.

The tree I see out my bedroom window is already dropping leaves. I think the drought stressed plants and we will see bare trees sooner than usual. Hope you are enjoying autumn, too.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

2 comments:

  1. Have cooked fried green tomatoes in a spider over coals. Tasty, but had trouble with the coating wanting to come off. But I have this problem when frying other breaded items too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The non-stick surface helps the coating to stay on. Of course since you were doing open-hearth cooking you were limited to the cast iron spider skillet. I did notice when I cut into the fried tomatoes with a fork to eat, the coating had a tendency to separate from the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete